The submission ended on February 29, 2020.
Thank you very much for your interest.
Rules and Regulations
Please read the following Rules & Regulations for the Two Rivers: Cross-Cultural Documentary Cinema Koblenz 2020 carefully before submitting (upload-link at the bottom of this page). By submitting you confirm that you have read and understood the Rules & Regulations and that you fully agree to the conditions of entry. Questions regarding the Rules & Regulations and/or film submission should be directed to programm(at)2rivers-festival.de.
- General Information
With our Call for Films we are looking for documentaries of any length and approach that are cross-cultural or ethnographic in the broadest sense, as the familiarity of the filmmakers with the people filmed in terms of language and culture allows them to create informed portraits of the realities of their lives. We are particularly interested in productions that explore the possibilities of audio-visual forms of representation beyond conventional formats.
- Main Program & Competition Sections
In addition to the general program, in which all films run out of competition, there are two competition sections for films made by student filmmakers:
- “Food Cultures”: for films examining food and drink and the cultural practices, traditions and conventions associated with them, but also their change, e.g. through the migration of food and drink in times of globalisation.
- „Sustainability“, for films that refer to the management of resources with regards to economic, ecological, cultural, social as well as political aspects of the term.
For each film it is mandatory to specify in the online entry form, if you are entering one of the the two competitions („Eating/Food Cultures“ or „Sustainability“) or if you are submitting your film to the main program without entering competition (multiple choice is not possible).
- Information on the Selection of Films and Awards
The curators of 2Rivers carry out the selection of films for the festival program and their final assignment to the competition sections. It is therefore possible, that the selected films for the program run in a competition other than that which was selected. The organizers reserve the right to change the type and number of the listed competition sections. An external jury decides on the winning films in both competition sections („Food Cultures“ and „Sustainability“); the winners will be notified by email.
- General Submission Criteria & Film Entry
Films must have been completed after January 1, 2017. If submitting for a competition, the film must meet the stated criteria. All films will be shown in the original version; if the spoken language is not English with English subtitles. Thus only entries with appropriate subtitles will be taken into consideration for the program selection. The entry form must be fully completed and all the requested documents submitted. One entry form must be filled out for each film. Applications will only be accepted if all required information is submitted by January 31, 2020.
Overview of General Submission Criteria
- Submission Deadline: February 29, 2020
- Year of production 2017 or more recent
- Original version; if applicable with English subtitles
- Fully completed submission form
- A preview copy
- Preview Copy
Preview copies can be submitted via download link (no date limitation!) or online screener (e.g. vimeo). In exceptional cases we offer an upload to our FTP server or you can send a DVD/Blu-ray. In that case please contact us via e-mail: programm(at)2rivers-festival.de.
- Legal Information
(1) The applicant warrants that s/he is authorized to allow the Festival the use of the film, as well as that its use during the festival does not violate rights of third parties (e.g. copyrights, performance, personal rights). It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to secure authorization for any copyrighted material that may be used in the film. 2Rivers is held harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses, which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, or screening of any film.
(2) The filmmaker agrees that organizers can use clips or trailers of her/his work as well as any additional materials, which have been submitted to our organization for advertising purposes for the film as well as for the festival.
(3) Costs of sending screening copies to the festival are at the expense of the sender. Submitted viewing material cannot be returned. 2Rivers will not incur any shipping fees of the screening copies.
(4) By submitting a film, the holder of the copyright agrees that the preview copy of the film will remain within the festival archive at the Institute of Kulturwissenschaft at Koblenz University, as part of their research and educational film collection and that the film can be used for non-profit screening events with no screening fee, organized by the Institute of Kulturwissenschaft at Koblenz University.
(5) 2Rivers does not provide screening fees.